Current News

I am currently in the process of migrating the content shared here to a series of new websites hosted at shirleytwofeathers.com.

As you explore this site, you may find links to a "page not found" instead of something cool and magickal. For this I apologize. I am very working hard behind the scenes to restore those pages along with a link to their homes on my new website where they can be viewed in full.

Search the Spells

Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Courtship of Inanna and Damuzi

For the full Honey Moon, I thought it would be fun to post this amazing love poem from Inanna, Queen of Heaven and Earth.

The courtship of Inanna and Dumuzi is one of the oldest love poems from the ancient world. It is a story of love between the gods (although some argue that Dumuzi was a real person, who rose to power, and so attained mythical divine status). When the gods consummate their love the result is fedundity on earth, particularly for their worshippers.

This Sumerian text is often compared to the Song of Songs. The Egyptian love poetry makes a better parallel, but there are some connections. However, this is much more explicitly sexual than the Song, and, of course, it is about divine lovers.

Here it is:

The brother spoke to this younger sister
The Sun God, Utu, spoke to Inanna, saying:

'Young Lady, the flax in its fullness is lovely,
Inanna, the grain is glistening in the furrow.
I will hoe it for you, I will bring it to you
A piece of linen, big or small, is always needed.
Inanna, I will bring it to you.'

... I am so sorry to do this to you, but this post has been moved to my new website, Widdershins, hosted at shirleytwofeathers.com, and can be found in its entirety here: The Courtship of Inanna and Damuzi


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin