Current News

I am currently in the process of migrating the content shared here to a series of new websites hosted at shirleytwofeathers.com.

As you explore this site, you may find links to a "page not found" instead of something cool and magickal. For this I apologize. I am very working hard behind the scenes to restore those pages along with a link to their homes on my new website where they can be viewed in full.

Search the Spells

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Averting the Evil Eye

The belief that some persons had the power of injuring others by their looks, was as prevalent among the Greeks and Romans as it is among the superstitious in modern times. The ὀφθαλμὸς βάσκανος, or evil eye, is frequently mentioned by ancient writers. It was supposed to injure children particularly, but sometimes cattle also.

"Nescio quis teneros oculos mihi fascinat agnum." 
~Virgil


Various amulets were used to avert the influence of the evil eye....

... I am so sorry to do this to you, but this post has been rewritten and moved to my new website, Book of Shadows, and the new and improved version can be found here: Averting The Evil Eye

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin