- When you see a one-eyed cat, spit on your thumb, stamp it in the palm of your hand, and make a wish. The wish will come true.
- A kitten born in May is a witches cat.
- A black cat seen from behind - a bad omen
- A black cat crossing your path - good luck.
- A black cat crossing one's path by moonlight means death in an epidemic. (Irish superstition)
- A strange black cat on your porch brings prosperity. (Scottish superstition)
- English schoolchildren believe seeing a white cat on the way to school is sure to bring trouble. To avert bad luck, they must either spit, or turn around completely and make the sign of the cross.
- In the USA, Spain and Belgium a white cat crossing your path was considered to be good luck.
- To see a white cat on the road is lucky.
- It is bad luck to see a white cat at night.Dreaming of white cat means good luck.
- Stray tortoise shell cat - bad omen
- In Normandy, seeing a tortoiseshell foretells death by accident.
- Cats bought with money will never be good mousers
- It is bad luck to cross a stream carrying a cat. (French superstition)
- Cat sneezing once means rain
- Cat sneezing three times - the family will catch a cold
- A cat sneezing is a good omen for everyone who hears it. (Italian superstition)
- In the early 16th century, a visitor to an English home would always kiss the family cat.
- A cat washing on the doorstep means the clergy will visit
- If a cat washes behind its ears, it will rain. (English superstition).
- When the pupil of a cat's eye broadens, there will be rain. (Welsh superstition)
- A cat sleeping with all four paws tucked under means cold weather ahead. (English superstition)
- In the Netherlands, cats were not allowed in rooms where private family discussions were going on. The Dutch believed that cats would definitely spread gossips around the town.
- If cats desert a house, illness will always reign there. (English superstition)
- In 16th century Italy, it was believed that if a black cat lay on the bed of a sick man, he would die. But there's also a belief that a cat will not remain in the house where someone is about to die. Therefore, if the family cat refuses to stay indoors, it was an omen of death in the family.
- When moving to a new home, always put the cat through the window instead of the door, so that it will not leave.
- A cat on top of a tombstone meant certainly that the soul of the departed buried was possessed by the devil.
- Two cats seen fighting near a dying person, or on the grave shortly after a funeral, are really the Devil and an Angel fighting for possession of that person's soul.
- If you kick a cat you will get Rheumatism.
- To kill a cat brings seventeen years of bad luck. (Irish superstition)
- Killing a cat is an absolute guarantee that you have sacrificed your soul to the Devil.
As you explore this site, you may find links to a "page not found" instead of something cool and magickal. For this I apologize. I am very working hard behind the scenes to restore those pages along with a link to their homes on my new website where they can be viewed in full.
Tuesday, January 31, 2012
From: Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells
Talismans include bags of rice, sesame seeds, coins, and a tomcat (for happiness and fertility). The cat doesn't have to be a gift, it can be someone's pet that just hangs out in the room for a little while, emanating energy. The one caveat is that the cat may not be neutered. It defeats the purpost of the spell.
Note: This may be a good opportunity to adopt a stray from a shelter and let it participate in the ceremony prior to neutering.
From: Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells
- Ruler: Bastet and/or Freya
- Type: animal
- Magickal Form: alive, whiskers, hair
- Black cats are very lucky indeed and you will be blessed when one crosses your path.
- Red cats and calico cats bring money.
- A Gray cat will protect you.
- A Siamese cat will bring laughter into your life.
- Put out milk for stray cats. If you don't live in an area with stray cats, bring contributions to a shelter or adopt a gray stray cat.
- Feeding isn't done by rote but as a conscious offering. Speak with Freya simultaneously, explain your needs, desires, and broken heart and request assistance.
- Pay attention; her response may come through the cats themselves.
Found in: Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
- Jan 25 to Feb 03
- Jul 26 to Aug 04
Persons born under the sign of the Cypress tend to be strong, muscular, and adaptable. They take what life has to give, are content, and optimistic....
... I am so sorry to do this to you, but this post has been moved to my new website, Sigils Symbols and Signs, and can be found in its entirety here: Sign of the Cypress
Saturday, January 21, 2012
If you were born between January 21 and February 19, you were born under the sign of the orchid. Those with the zodiac flower sign of the orchid are curious and inventive. You can be contradictory but you know exactly where you are coming from. You have a dreamy persona and people are ...
... I am so sorry to do this to you, but this post has been moved to my new website, Sigils Symbols and Signs, and can be found in its entirety here: Sign of the Orchid
Friday, January 13, 2012
January, April, and July 13th in 2012 are Friday the 13th
Consequently, several theories have been proposed about the origin of the Friday the 13th superstition.
One theory states that it is a modern amalgamation of two older superstitions: that thirteen is an unlucky number and that Friday is an unlucky day....
I am so sorry to do this to you, but this post has been moved to my new website, The Pagan Calendar, hosted at shirleytwofeathers.com, and can be found in its entirety here: Friday The Thirteenth
Thursday, January 12, 2012
- Jan 12 to Jan 24
- Jul 15 to Jul 25
Persons born under the sign of the Elm tend to have a pleasant shape, wear tasteful clothes, and make modest demands. They tend not to forgive ...
... I am so sorry to do this to you, but this post has been moved to my new website, Sigils Symbols and Signs, and can be found in its entirety here: Sign of the Elm Tree
Sunday, January 01, 2012
- Jan 1 to Jan 11
- Jul 5 to Jul 14
Persons born under the sign of the Fir Tree tend to have the following qualities: extraordinary taste, dignity, sophisticated, loves anything beautiful...
... I am so sorry to do this to you, but this post has been moved to my new website, Sigils Symbols and Signs, and can be found in its entirety here: Sign of the Fir Tree
In Madagascar New Year's is celebrated with much feasting and sacrificial killing of oxen takes place.
Chinese custom requires that every boy who calls on his neighbors or relatives on New Year's day, should receive a couple of loose-skinned oranges, or he is considered shamefully treated. The name of orange means luck, fortune, and auspiciousness.
On New Year's eve while the clock is striking twelve, repeat three times: "Good Saint Anne, good Saint Anne, send me a man as fast as you can," and you will become engaged within a year.
At the beginning of the New Year in Natal, a ceremony is performed by the chief by spurting from his mouth a mixture of the New Year's fruits in different directions as if upon his enemies. After this ceremony it is lawful for the people to eat the New Year's fruits. They are only eaten by stealth before....
I am so sorry to do this to you, but this post has been moved to my new website The Pagan Calendar (hosted at shirleytwofeathers.com) and can be found in its entirety here: Old New Years Customs and Lore