Current News

I am currently in the process of migrating the content shared here to a series of new websites hosted at shirleytwofeathers.com.

As you explore this site, you may find links to a "page not found" instead of something cool and magickal. For this I apologize. I am very working hard behind the scenes to restore those pages along with a link to their homes on my new website where they can be viewed in full.

Search the Spells

Monday, July 18, 2011

Bad Omens in Nebraska

The signs, omens, and portents in the following collection have been reported by inhabitants of Nebraska and most of them are beliefs or sayings commonly known in the central western region. Although the list must be far from complete, it is probably representative of the bulk of current (1933) superstitions of Nebraskans.


  1. If a dog howls at night, it is a sign of the death of a friend.
  2. If a dog sits and howls at the moon, it is a sign of death.
  3. One death will be followed almost immediately by two more in the family or the neighborhood....
... I am so sorry to do this to you, but this post has been moved to my new website, Sigils Symbols and Signs, and can be found in its entirety here: Bad Omens in Nebraska

1 comment:

Lisa W. said...

Very interesting! I grew up in Nebraska and heard quite a few of those...one I really remember that isn't on here was holding your breath while passing a cemetary and keeping your fingers crossed to keep death away.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin