Caution should be taken with candle burning, however fragrant or festive, because it is a source of fire. Here are some safety tips:
- Always trim the candle and remove matches, trimming, wrapping or other debris before lighting. Candle wick should be trimmed at least 1/4 inch before lighting.
- Use a proper candle holder for the candle type. Make sure it is fireproof.
- Burn candles away from drafts, vents, fans or hallways to avoid setting clothing on fire.
- Do not burn candles where children are playing.
- Place candles away from dried flowers, magazines, drapery, or other flammable materials.
- To avoid burns, do not touch burning candles or remove hot wax.
- Do not burn candles when your are tired and likely to fall asleep.
- Do not burn candles too close to a heat source.
Most fires caused by candles occur in the bedroom, followed by family room and bathroom. Most candle fire accidents occur when there is a problem with the holder; for example, when a candle holder breaks or falls while the candle is still burning.
Source: Four Seasons of Mojo