"...O King, I have given to you your sister Isis,
that she may lay hold of you and give to you your heart for your body."
(first mention of Isis in the Pyramid Texts)
Isis is the most compassionate of deities because she has lived the life of an oppressed woman, and she is the most powerful, because as Mistress of Magic, she knows all and can do all. Isis can resurrect the dead and can bestow the gift of fertility. She heals the ailing and protects travelers at sea. There is no miracle that she cannot perform.
- Offerings: Traditionally Isis accepts offerings of milk, honey, flowers, incense, and candles.
- Colors: Black, blue
- Element: Water
- Botanicals: Vervain, myrrh tree, sycamore, fig
- Mineral: Bloodstone
- Metal: Gold
- Sacred creatures: Snakes, cows, crocodiles, scorpions, kites (a type of raptor), swallow
- Planet: Moon
- Constellation: Virgo
- Star: An Egyptian name for the star Sirius (Sothis) is "Soul of Isis." Sirius first appearance in the night sky signaled the annual Nile Flood.
- Favored People: Theoretically everyone, but especially women, single mothers, orphans, occultists, and mariners.
- Traditional images of Isis are the prototype for the modern Madonna and child. A woman, frequently carved from black stone, which in Egyptian cosmology represents eternal life, holds a nursing baby to her breast.
- She wears a crown topped by a throne (the meaning of her name) or a crown of horns cradling the full moon.
Manifestation: Isis is an incredible magician and can take any form she chooses. She may manifest as a cow, kite, or swallow. She may appear as a beautiful queen, a pregnant woman, or a woman absolutely devastated by despair and grief.
From: Encyclopedia of Spirits